Home > Transportation Services > U-Pass
Washington University in St Louis and Metro, the regional agency that provides public transportation services, work together on an agreement in which the University pays Metro for the U-Pass program. The U-Pass program provides free Metro passes to full-time students, benefits-eligible faculty and staff, and full-time employees of qualified service providers who perform daily tasks.
The U-Pass provides students and other members of
the University community much greater access to the St. Louis Metropolitan
region on public transit. It applies to both Metro buses and the
MetroLink light-rail system.
The University provides this program to achieve several objectives
- The agreement provides the advantages of public
transit and reduced commuting costs for approximately 25,000 members
of the WUSTL community, a particularly important advantage for
- Greater access for students to participate in internships and community service opportunities and to take advantage of cultural and entertainment venues in the region;
- Expanded and faster Metro service between the University's various campuses and facilities in St. Louis and St. Louis County;
- ADA accessible trains, buses and services for those who have disabilities or who are mobility challenged;
- The ability to transport bicycles on Metro buses and trains;
- An alternative form of transportation for those who will be impacted by the reconstruction of Interstate 64/U.S. 40;
- Positive environmental impacts through the use of alternative fuels, elimination of duplicate services provided by the University's shuttle program, and reduced automobile usage and roadway congestion;
- Reduction of parking demands at various University campuses and facilities;
- Enhanced trip planning and customer service offered through the University's Parking and Transportation Services Office; and
- Ongoing major funding and support for public transportation services in the St. Louis region.
In addition to access to the entire St Louis metropolitan area, Metro provides service for three routes designed specifically for our community.#1 Gold - provides service connecting the Medical School with the Danforth Campus. This route also serves downtown Clayton and various shopping plazas.
#2 Red - has stops near the South 40 residential halls and provides service to neighborhoods south of campus and nearby grocery and retail stores. This route also connects WU's North Campus facility with the Mallinckrodt Center on the Danforth Campus.
Green Line - connects the Danforth Campus with the 560 Building, University City and surrounding neighborhoods that have University owned apartment buildings.
For detailed route and schedule information click HERE.
The University also provides a "Danforth Campus/South 40 Circulator"; that provides shuttle services from the MetroLink stations at Skinker and Forest Park Parkway and Big Bend and Forest Park Parkway to various locations around the Danforth Campus and the South 40.
Eligibility, Registration, Rules & Regulations
Register for a U-Pass