In conjunction with Metro St. Louis, the region’s public transportation agency, the U-Pass program provides Metro passes for full-time students, benefits-eligible faculty and staff, and full-time employees of basic service contractors to unlimited access to the St. Louis metropolitan region on public transit. The U-Pass can be used on the MetroLink light-rail system, Call-A-Ride Paratransit service and Metro buses. Three bus routes are specifically designed to connect the WashU community with nearby residential and shopping areas. Faculty, staff, and students who use the U-Pass as the primary mode of transportation to and from campus may enroll in the Occasional Parking Program.
A pass will be issued after your request has been processed.
Must be registered as a full-time student for the semester for which you are requesting.
- Must renew each semester
- Use your WebSTAC login
- WebSTAC help: 314-935-5707
Please be aware that our system updates once daily. If you have completed your registration and attempt to request your U-Pass immediately, you may be declared ineligible. If you are having difficulty with the U-Pass application process, contact Parking & Transportation Services.
Available to benefits-eligible faculty, staff, postdoctorals, and fellows.
- Must renew annually
- Use your WUSTL Key
- Login help: 314-935-5707
There is a short waiting period for new employees before U-Pass eligibility is finalized and a U-Pass can be requested – typically within one week from your start date.
If you are a benefits-eligible employee who has been with WashU for longer than the week-long waiting period and received a system notification that you are not eligible, please contact Parking & Transportation Services.
Using Your U-Pass
The pass may be used on all Metro buses and the MetroLink light-rail system. The U-Pass is also valid for use on Madison County buses. There are no restrictions on the area or on times the pass is valid.
To ride Metro buses or the MetroLink with your U-Pass, you must also have your WashU ID with you. When you ride a Metro bus, you will swipe your U-Pass through the card reader when you board. When you ride MetroLink trains, you will be asked to show your valid U-Pass along with your WashU ID. If you are unable to present both your U-Pass and your WashU ID to Metro personnel or fare inspectors, you may be issued a citation and required to pay a court-imposed fine.
Benefits of the U-Pass Program
The university provides the U-Pass program to achieve several objectives for the WashU community.
- The agreement provides the advantages of public transit and reduced commuting costs for approximately 25,000 members of the WashU community, a particularly important advantage for lower-paid workers.
- The program provides greater access for students to participate in internships and community service opportunities and to take advantage of cultural and entertainment venues in the region.
- The agreement includes expanded and faster Metro service between the university’s campuses and facilities in St. Louis and St. Louis County.
- Metro offers ADA-accessible trains, buses and services for those who have disabilities or who are mobility challenged.
- Metro buses and trains provide the ability to transport bicycles.
- By increasing the WashU community’s use of public transit, the U-Pass program creates positive environmental impacts through the use of alternative fuels, elimination of duplicate services provided by the university’s shuttle program and reduced automobile usage and roadway congestion.
- The program reduces parking demands at various university campuses and facilities.
- Along with the U-Pass program, the Parking & Transportation Services office offers enhanced trip planning and customer service.
- The U-Pass program provides ongoing major funding and support for public transportation services in the St. Louis region.
Student U-Pass Replacement
If you lose your U-Pass, you may obtain a replacement in person from the Parking & Transportation Services office. When you come to the office, you will need to fill out a small form and present your photo ID. Students will be required to pay a replacement fee of $25 by cash, check or credit card.
Faculty/Staff U-Pass Replacement
If you lose your U-Pass, you may obtain a replacement in person from the Parking & Transportation Services office. When you come to the office, you will need to fill out a small form and present your photo ID. Faculty/staff members must pay a replacement fee of $50, payable by cash, check or credit card. If you need to replace your U-Pass after January 1, the replacement fee is prorated to $25.
Employees Leaving the University
If you are leaving the university permanently, you must return your U-Pass to the Parking & Transportation Services office. You may be billed for the cost of your U-Pass if you fail to return it.
If you are taking a temporary leave or if you are an employee who works only nine months out of the year, you may keep your U-Pass during your leave so long as you will be receiving continuous benefits from the university during that time.